Friday 4 April 2008

Body Modification - Individual or Normal?


How long does it take for motions of rebellion and efforts at individualism to catch on and develop into a trend? How many people get a tattoo to try to make a statement about themselves but just end up with a rose on their left breast or a half-naked women on their bicep. Then Celtic tribal patterns became the 'in-thing' until they were popular and then it was cryptic messages written in Chinese or Japanese and the customer relying heavily on the tattooists ability to read the language.

At first it was guys gettin an ear pierced, then when that caught on it was the cartilage, then it was nose and eyebrows, then tongues and lips. Then the more daring went right on ahead and had there genitals pierced - which really confuses me as noone can even see it. From a male perspective I know a few people with a "Prince Albert" and they explain how it hightens the sexual experience but makes urinating an awkward enterprise, for women I guess it helps the less experienced locate the right areas...

But with everything just becoming another trend where does it end? As each new notion becomes accepted by a wider audience those seeking individuality push it that one step further - you start with a single tattoo and then before you know it you're entire arm is covered in a 'sleeve', you've got a £3000 tattoo that covers you're back and 19 body piercings which are as impracticle as they are grotesque.

Don't get me wrong I totally believe that people should be who they want and that the only person who needs to be happy with YOUR appearance is YOU. But where does it all end? Couldn't you spend all your money on something more worth while? But how am I to judge, but I will say one thing, tattoos and piercings don't make you individual anymore they merely make you common.

I feel unique amongst my peers and friends because I'm only of the only people I know without a tattoo or piercing.

Tattoos and Cattlebrands

No comments: